* Routine guidelines are stated below.
* Strict compliance with the U.S. All Star Federation (USASF) competition and safety guidelines for all star cheerleaders and dance teams is required.
* Strict compliance with the National Federation of High School Athletics (NFHSA) Spirit Rules for competition and safety guidelines for school teams is required.
* Any rules violation of the USASF or NFHSA will result in point deductions from a team’s final score.
NOTE: All questions regarding rules or rules interpretations must be cleared in advance with the Spirit Sports office. Please submit questions about the legality of skills no later than two weeks prior to the competition date in the event that a clarification or ruling requires a video. We cannot guarantee a ruling or clarification prior to an event for questions that come to our office within two weeks of a competition date.
* All All Star teams must register for our events online at www.spiritsports.com. After registration, a Spirit Sports Event Confirmation Packet will be sent to you at least 2-weeks prior to the event. This packet will include all forms and information for coaches and competitors, as well as other information.
* One week prior to an event, an updated performance order will be available on our web site. This performance order will be a general performance scheduling guideline for the weekend, but is subject to change. The most accurate performance order may be picked up during final registration at our events.
Event Registration/Coaches Meeting
* Coaches are required to finalize their registration at each of our events. Please report to the designated registration area upon arrival.
* For two day events it is HIGHLY recommended that you register the evening before the competition in the event you have unexpected issues arise
* If there is a REQUIRED coaches meeting, please make sure you send at least 1 representative to cover general competition information and most importantly the scoring process.
All star cheerleading and dance divisions for teams and individuals/small groups are determined by the guidelines set by the USASF. Strict compliance with these guidelines must be followed. Please refer to the USASF for detailed information about age requirements for all star divisions. School and recreation teams should refer to the Spirit Sports web site for division guidelines.
An official team roster will be included in your initial registration packet. This form must be completed, signed and submitted at registration by a coach/gym owner with each participating member’s full name, age and date of birth.
NOTE: Falsification of information on team rosters will result in immediate disqualification.
* 1-Day Events: Spirit Sports holds 1-day events for all registered divisions. At our 1-day events score sheets may be picked up at the designated registration/information area after the awards ceremony for your division.
- There are no deduction or score range challenges at 1-day events.
* 2-Day Events: Spirit Sports holds 2-day national championships for all registered divisions.
- On day ONE (1) of a TWO (2)-day event, scores may be picked up at the designated registration/information area one hour after the final performance in your competition division (see the Deduction/Score Rage Challenges section below for more detailed information).
- On day TWO (2), the second/final day scores may be picked up after the awards ceremony for your division. There are no score range challenges on day 2 of 2-day events.
* Your team’s performance will be assessed using the Varsity Standard of Scoring.
* Each team will receive an official “Spirit Sports Scoring Packet” at each of our events including:
1. A summary sheet of your scores in each category for each scoring judge for your division
2. Five individual judge score sheets
3. A deduction sheet
4. Your division rankings and scores for all teams in your division
* Your team’s score is determined by dropping your highest and lowest scores and averaging the three remaining scores.
* Deductions are then subtracted from this average score to determine your final score.
* At 2-day events, scores are determined by a 25-75 percent split. Day 1 scores will count for 25% of your entire event score and your day 2 score will count for 75% of your entire event score.
* At 1-day events your performance score will count for 100% of your event score.
Deduction/Score Range Challenges
* Unique to Spirit Sports, coaches have the autonomy to present deduction and/or scoring range challenges. Should your team receive a score that you determine is not in the appropriate range as explained in the coaches meeting, or if your team receives a deduction for performance infractions stated in the Varsity Standard of Scoring, please pick up a deduction/score range challenge form at the registration area.
* Complete this form, detailing your explanation for the challenge and give it back to our registration personnel. You will be notified about your challenge result within one hour after the last team in your division performs.
* Score range challenges are ONLY offered on day one of 2-day events, and are not offered at 1 day events.
* Deduction challenges are offered on both days of 2 day events (see below) and are not offered at 1-day events. On the second day of a 2 day event, all coaches should check for final rankings at the registration area from day 1 of the event as rankings may have shifted because due to deduction/score range challenges.
* Please have someone pick up your deduction sheet IMMEDIATELY after your team’s performance.
* Deduction challenges MUST be presented within one hour of your team’s performance on day 1 and within 30 minutes of your team’s performance on day 2.
* Please review your team’s performance playback before completing a deduction challenge sheet to make sure your challenge is legitimate.
Spirit Sports has assembled panels of impartial judges recognized nationally for their expertise in cheerleading and dance. They are a group of some of the most noted and talented coaches, choreographers, cheerleaders and dancers the spirit industry has to offer.
We try to secure judges from various background and geographic locations and who represent a variety of cheerleading and dance styles. Each panel of judges will consist of five scoring judges, a head/deductions judge, and a safety judge.
* The performance area for cheer teams will be a 54’x42’ coiled spring floor covered with 9 carpet-bonded foam panels running lengthwise. There is NO out of bounds markings designated on the performance area; however, ALL skills MUST start and end execution within the white taped outlined area that designates the 54’x42’ performance area.
* The use of a full-size Marley floor will be determined by the number of dance teams registered at any given event.
* Spirit Sports will provide a music station in the warm up area for teams’ use during the warm up period.
* For all of Spirit Sports 2-day national competitions, we will offer the option for coaches to send in their music electronically.
* Music for you performance may be downloaded in MP3 format prior to your arrival the event and will be played by a computer system. You will receive email confirmation that your music has been received.
* Music downloads MUST be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER than the Thursday prior to your scheduled event. ABSOLUTELY NO music will be downloaded at the event.
* Spirit Sports does not offer music downloads for one day Classic competitions.
* Coaches electing to use a compact disc/MP3 player for their performance will need to have a “finalized” CD copy of their music or an MP3 player available at the music stand no later than 5 minutes prior to their team’s performance.
* Failure of the competition music equipment will be grounds for a team to perform again. All performances MUST be done in their entirety and the score of the second performance will be used in the scoring process.
* Music failure due to a team’s equipment or compact disc error (e.g. scratched disc, unfinalized disc, skipping CD due to coaches jumping) will not result in a team performing again.